Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day

We had a wonderful holiday yesterday. I think getting off to a good start on Christmas Eve helped. We were both relaxed and I managed not to put pressure on myself to get everything right. Because we were stepping away from what we usually do, or have done on holidays, it felt easier. I've spent most of my life trying to make everyone else happy (at times that has taken quite a toll) and have continued it around the holidays. Being raised Christian I had memories, both good and bad, of the Christmas holidays. When I converted to Judaism I tried to bring some of those holiday traditions, without the religious overtones (although the older I get the more commercialized the holidays seem). I have tried to keep Christmas special for our daughter, who is Christian, but this year it was just Terry and I. Now the old standard joke is that Jews order Chinese food on Christmas or go to the movies. Well, we didn't get the Chinese food, but we did watch movies. And it was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment